Saturday, February 21, 2015

I'm published!!!

While at the American Sewing Guild Conference in St. Louis (July '14), I met the lovely Sarah McFarland, editor of Threads Magazine.  We had dinner and talked all things sewing.  I told her about my blog---well she checked it out and saw my gowns. Threads later contacted me and asked if they could feature one of my gowns.  I sent them two prom gowns; this is the one they decided to use.  I can't describe the feeling I had when turned to page 84!!!!  Praise God for this wonderful blessing He has given me!  I love to sew and make others happy using my talent.  The young lady that wore this gown and her family were so happy on her prom night!

Friday, February 13, 2015


Well hubby and I are on vacation in Williamsburg, VA.  We have a timeshare and since this is a low-budget trip we decided to go here instead of our usual spot Las Vegas.  Since we drove I brought along my sewing gear.  First time I've ever taken it on vaca with hubby.  Hubby stressed he wanted to rest on this vaca so it gave me plenty of sewing time.  The kitchen counter in our suite is perfect for sewing and cutting. My projects were pre-cut and bagged with notions before I left, but I did have to cut some binding for my aprons.  I found this awesome tutorial for making binding.  I didn't have the ruler they were promoting, but since I'd made binding similar to this before, it was a piece of cake.


Here are the aprons!  
close-up of binding

There were two thrift stores didn't have anything sewing related.  The second one; however, had an old Singer in a sewing table for $80...couldn't justify buying it.  I did find about a dozen patterns.  I purchased this lovely Vogue pants pattern (circa 2001) for $1.98!

This is one of my pre-cut projects.  M6844 I love this pattern.  I made it totally using my Evolve serger.  It's Raven's purple crushed penne from Hancock's. 

Man I look just like my mom's profile in this pic!
I visited the Hancock's in Hampton (about a 25 min drive) and found this lovely wool blend on sale!!!  60% off---if you have a Hancock's nearby check it out.  They had some beautiful wool blends to choose from!  I purchased a yard of this beautiful lime green.  The other is a deep green both are wool blends. They both have a beautiful drape and hand to them.  I see the lime as a beautiful skirt and plan to use the darker green for the pants pattern I picked up at Goodwill.

 a beautiful lime green, 1 yd

 dark green wool blend, 2 yds.  

I also made this cape for a friend.  McCalls 6209.  I purchased the fabric from Hancock's 60% off wool flannel.  It's so warm!!!  Excuse the wrinkles.  I don't dare iron this with the hotel iron! I'll steam it real good at home with my Reliable before I give it to her!!!!!

 Erica B inspired me to buy this pattern. Check out her version here:
 I have a client that wants Steeler's pjs.  I'm using this pattern.  I could only find two patterns for men's pjs with a fly, the other was a Kwik Sew.  Kwik Sew only had the bottoms.  A better value with the Vogue, and it was on sale for $4.99!  Plus, these are some sexy pattern models if I say so myself!!!!!

Honorable mention:  Joann's in New Town  People always comment negatively about Joann's staff---well the staff at this location was awesome.  Very friendly.  Joann's is across from The Loft and next door to Barnes and Noble's.  

So I've had a great time in Williamsburg, VA!  Yes, hubby and I did leave the room!  Sorry Latoria, we didn't make it to the Pottery.

Thanks for stopping by.  Happy Valentine's Day!!! 
Valentine's 70% off at Joann's

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Stripes Stashbusting

Well I've already broken one of my sewing resolutions!  I purchased a pattern, Simplicity 1463-View A.  I saw a review on Pattern Review and had to have one.  I did; however, use fabric from my stash!!!  Yeah!!!!  The pattern was super easy took me about 2 hours to make it.  I had enough fabric to match the stripes.  My number one pet peeve is unmatched stripes in the seams!!!!!!  I made a size medium.  Next time I will make the small, but I love this top and can't wait to wear it with my skinny jeans or leggins!  I also want to make the other versions as well!

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Let it snow why don't cha!!!

We had a brief, but pretty snow today in Baltimore!!!  Love how it looks on the tree branches!!!  I took this picture while I was sitting at the light, no worries!  

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Tulle Tulle Tulle

Here's two happy clients!  I made their birthday Tu Tu!!!  They are sisters born in the same month.  They are having a party today.  Look at those faces!  This is why I love to see for others!!!!

Monday, January 12, 2015

I'm on a roll!!!

One of my co-workers saw my Cosmo bag and loved it.  I made this one for her.   I ommitted the fusible fleece step.  This bag requires a lot of prep. This time I fused the interfacing to the yardage before I cut the pattern.  This saved tons of time!  I plan to make it out of leather the next time!  

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Foxy the cat!!!

Well I'm sitting at the machine working on my Cosmo Bag, and in my peripheral vision I see something....


This is another wonderful Christmas gift from my DH.  He purchased it on line from Ikea.  I just put it down in the Sewing Center a couple of days ago and sprayed it with Scotch guard.  Silly cat, keeps me in stitches!!!