Saturday, December 29, 2012

A little tidying up!

The Sewing Center is in need of some sprucing up! Well enough is enough!

I have begun what I'm calling "Operation Declutter."  I was doing a pretty goodjob of keeping things organized, but when I started packing for the November retreat I left things in a mess. 
Upon my return from the retreat I began working on various projects, hence the disarray!  Well I'm determined to get this place in tip top shape!  I'm tackling every corner until it is pristine!!!!  I will also be making new labels for my rolling storage carts.  I may even move some things around.  Starting this evening I'll be off until next Wednesday so I should be able to get a lot accomplished.

Here's some fabric organization steps I've taken.  I've snipped a piece of each fabric that's in the drawer and attached it to a safety pin which is then attached to the handle of each drawer.  I can see what I have without rummaging through the drawer.  The fabrics in these drawers/bins are not large enough to make a garment, but can be used for bag or pocket linings, self interfacing, hats, scarves, small projects, etc. 
As I am a garment sewer, I don't own many quiltingfabrics.  This center drawer contains my lot of 1/4 - 1 yd pieces of cotton.  I can see each piece at a glance!!!!!

The colored drawers contain embroidery thread and supplies.  I am making new labels for the drawer fronts.  The white cabinet that holds my embroidery machine will also get a good cleaning out!
This cute "cord tamer" was made by our ASG NG Leader, Vivian Vaughn.  She painted an empty toilet paper roll with mod podge to make it sturdy and then covered it with fabric.  It's a really practical tool. 

In between the organizing I made a very comfy pair of pants.  Sandra Betzina Vogue 1197.  These came together very easily.  I used the size 12 and actually made no adjustments. I purchased this knit from A Fabric Place.  It's like a ponte knit.  I will shorten the next pair by 2 inches as I usually wear low heels with this type of pant. 


Well back to the Sewing Center for more organizing! 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tee! I see you're using the time off, too to get organized. Mine isn't as neat as yours, but at least I have everything and know where it is. Now I need to separate fabric from scraps. :-).

Saves so much time when things are in order, doesn't it? BTW: Happy New Year to you!

Anonymous said...

Great organizing ideas! You have been sew busy doing all of these good things with the ASG. Mine isn't as organized as yours..at least I know where things are. :-). I need to separate fabric from scraps. I have some quilting fabric I got back in 2010 for a couple of classes that didn't pan out (gonna make good use of it). BTW: Happy New Year to you. :-)

Tee said...

@Wannasew My goal is to organize my space so that I can start 2013 off on the right foot. I have a lot of stash busting to do! Take care!

Gwen said...

Hey Tee! :)
Oh man, I need to organize my space... :(
I have an award for you on my blog (In Over My Head) - hopefully it's a nice way to wrap up 2012 and start 2013! :)
You can play along or not - whatever suits you. ;)
Wishing you and yours all the best for a wonderful Happy New Year!
--Gwen

Tee said...

Aww, thanks so much Gwen!!!!