Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Busy Sewing Bee!!!!!

Well I have 3 proms this year! #1 - my niece... I traveled to NC a couple of weeks ago to make my niece's prom gown.  She choose Vogue 1374 minus the cowl back.  She choose a lightweight jersey like knit from Joann's.  We added rhinestone trim to give some sass!  So glad I had a 50% off coupon at Joann's--that trim was more expensive than the dress fabric!!!!!!   I usually order my trims on-line for a much better price, but the trim was a last minute addition!!!!

Gown #2 is turning out very nicely.  I'm using a vintage Simplicity pattern.  I modified the top to make it strapless.  I found this beautiful hot pink satin at Walmart.  It has the look and feel of duchess satin.  I picked up this stretch sequined fabric and matching organza for the overskirt at Sarah's in Takoma Park, MD.  Wonderful store chock full of beautiful fabrics!!!

Muslin mock-up used for pattern.
lining and tulle will be sewn under the satin/organza layer....it gives the skirt just enough poof!!!                          

Gown number 3 - Challenging!!!!!

I used my Wildginger Curves pattern software to draft this gown. I started with a leotard and drew the bottom of the dress down to just above the knee.  I'll add a full circle with an elongated train to the bottom.   When she came for her fitting I used the tape like they do on project runway to mark the cutting lines in her top.  I talked her onto letting me add a sheer insert to the middle of the deep v cut in the front.  I didn't want her too look trashy for her prom.  She is a very sweet girl so it didn't take much convincing, besides mom was in my corner on this on decision!!!!

Lastly, over the weekend I made some accessories for my niece's wedding.  I used a sparkle netting and a crystal trim for the veil.  I folded the tulle in half/rounded the corner edges and sewed across the top edges using a 4-thread stitch with my serger.  I pulled the top needle threads to gather it to match the width of the comb and hand sewed it on securely.  I used a David Tutera bridal collection bling on a roll for the edging. This was by far cheaper than actual rhinestone trim. Also the rhinestone trim was too heavy for the tulle.  I sewed the trim on using a wide zigzag and clear nylon thread. 






My niece has a tattoo on her upper arm so she wanted a jacket to cover it up during ceremony.  This is the modified shrug.  I cut the front so that the beautiful front of her gown would show.  I used a poly organza with crystal accents and lined it with a shiny poly organza to make it a bit more opaque.  I used a neat trick I found in one of my serger books to do the french seams.  Instead of sewing wrong sides together with my sewing machine and then trimming....I sewed the seams with a roll edge then pressed and sewed right sides together with my sewing machine to form the french seam.  It turned out nicely and was much faster as it eliminated the trimming step!  Where I wasn't able to do a french seam I pinked the edges.   All fabrics from my stash and purchased at Joann's.



Next up is her gown.  It's all pinned and ready to be bustled.  I think I'll add tiny satin buttons and make thread chains to hook over the buttons when she is ready to bustle it.  I'll be there so I'll be sure to bustle her gown!!!!!

That's it for now....until next time.  Thanks for stopping by and happy sewing!!!!!

3 comments:

Sheila said...

Beautiful garments in the making.

Mary DeBar said...

All I can say is you amaze me.

Tee said...

Thanks ladies!!!