Monday, May 29, 2017

Prom

I had the pleasure of working with six lovely young ladies this prom season.  Proms are a big event in Baltimore!!!  Families get together and host a "prom send-off" complete with music, food, photographers, etc.  I was able to attend four of my girls send offs and there were so much fun!!!!!  when I attend this events, I also pass out my business cards.  I've gotten lots of "sewing work" from these events.  This year I did a last minute prom alteration for a girl who was at a prom send off.

I present Dressed to a Tee 2017 Proms

First up, Daryn, I've known her since she was 5 yrs old.  She wanted a glam look.  Last year I created her jr. prom look.


She had so many pictures (top like this, bottom like this, train like this, etc.) in the end this is what we came up with.  I used Butterick 4731 as the base.  Because I was using sequin fabric I wanted minimal seams. Sequin and organza fabric from A Fabric Place in BaltimoreThey have the best one-of-kind and special occasion fabrics!!!!!!!!


 Here's my rendition!
The mermaid skirt is two-tiered circle skirts with 5" horsehair braid.  I saw this tutorial on Youtube and it inspired the mermaid skirt on this gown.



This my daughter's god child, Monae.  She is the perfect size, like a Project Runway model.  This is the picture she sent me.  


 I used Simplicity 1099 as a base to design the look she wanted.

I think it's spot on!  I used Casa Satin from Joann Fabrics

She captured the spirit of the model!!!!

This is Naija, my GD, she and I created this look as we went along, LOL, a luxury when your grandmother is a seamstress!!!   I used a t shirt created in Wildginger to create the base of her top.  I used a champagne stretch satin for the bodice and champagne mesh for the bodice inset and trimmed the neck and sleeves with a gold knit.  I made the entire top with my serger.  I also covered her bra in the gold knit.  It has an invisible back zipper.  The skirt is made of a bridal petal fabric found at Joann Fabrics. It's a high low circle skirt (champagne floral fabric) with 5" horse hair braid sewn in the hem.  It has a gross-grain waist stay and invisible zipper.  There are 10 yds of ruffled champagne tulle sewn to a champagne taffetta high low circle petticoat.  LOVE MY RUFFLER FOOT!!!!  The front tulle has sparkle accents; the remaining tulle is plain.  The tulle started out long to the floor and I cut it haphazardly with her in it to get the look we wanted.  Rather Lady Gaga-ish/Rihanna-ish!!!! 

She loved it....I might add that I made that top the night before prom.  The initial dress was a one shoulder all-floral ---- we decided she looked like "big bird" and came up with this top instead.  All fabric purchased at Joann fabrics in the bridal and special occasion sections.
 Walking the red carpet!!!!


Tajmah, was a client last year, I created her Jr. prom dress

This year she wanted something sexy, but glamarous.   I drafted the dress pattern in Wildginger and made flat pattern changes to get the look she wanted in the back.  I drafted a circle skirt with a slight train for the mermaid bottom.  I purchased the lace on Ebay and the stretch taffeta and mesh fabrics are from NY Fashion Center's on line store.  The neckline and dress back are bound in the stretch taffeta--cut on the straight grain, her sleeves are trimmed with the edge of the lace.  I cut motifs from the lace and zigzagged it onto the burgundy mesh mermaid skirt.  The stretch taffeta is a dream to sew!!!!!

This was the inspiration photo.




To keep the design of the lace in tact without have seams, I cut it on the bias in one piece for the skirt and basted it to the top skirt edge and outer edges where the invisible zipper is attached.  The lace looks bigger than the skirt when it's on the hanger, but when she put the dress on, the two pieces come together perfectly because of the stretch.

Next, Cierra,  she was referred to me by a seamstress friend, Cheryl who was booked.  Cierra was a great client.  This is the pic she showed me. 



 Mom and I agreed, this look was better for her.  Lace was from Ebay and 
the stretch satin from A Fabric Place in Baltimore





This lovely lady wanted Hollywood glam!!!  Ciara had her color picked out and wanted the floral mermaid look.   She too had a photo....
 
This is my version.   Stretch taffeta from NY Fashion Center, floral mesh from Amazon, mesh and bodice floral from Ebay.  I sent for swatches from everywhere to get the colors to match!!!!!!



lace motifs cut and sewn to back of mesh.  I use the lapped zipper method for this dress.

My clients were "sew" happy with their completed looks!!!  It's a wonderful feeling to see your work come to life!!!!

Now for some "me" sewing!!!!!  Happy sewing everyone, thanks for stopping by!!!!!















5 comments:

Eli cat said...

I’m lost for words... What beautiful dresses!! You are so talented.

DawnSSL said...

Your work is beautiful!

Tee said...

Thanks so much ladies!

cv writing service said...

nice blog

Social Media Expert said...

Thanks For Share Awesome Custom Designed dress
Buy Clothing Online