Friday, July 5, 2019

Another Prom Season in the books

2019 prom season is a wrap!  I worked with this three young ladies and young man this year.  All dresses/gowns were drafted in Pattern Master V6 Wildginger Pattern Software.

I drafted a basic bodice,  flat pattern drafted the strapless under corset (boned), circle skirt and belt in Pattern Master V6.  I used pink Casa satin from JoAnn fabrics.  The over bodice and sleeves were made using a sparkle mesh from JoAnn. Her neckline and sleeve edges were finished with the Casa satin.














This next young lady is going to senior prom.  She's a return customer.  Here she is getting fitting in the muslin.

Here's the finished gown.  Fabric from JoAnn Fabrics Cosplay collection (lycra knit)  4" horse hair braid in the hem.  Top was self lined with gown fabric---no lining in the circle skirt with cut on train.
 This pattern is definitely for an experienced seamstress.  So many details left out of the instructions.  I referred to my husband's suit jacket for reference throughout the process of sewing this together.
 love how my welt pocket turned out.
 His lapels are made of her gown fabric.
 Love that fit!!!!
more welts

inside front pocket

 The happy couple on prom night!!!  
The next young lady is like a cousin.  I've been friends with her family since 1973!!!  In fact, I made her mom's sr prom gown in 1980!!!!!  Blair wanted me to combine the two photos below into one gown.



Blair went to Fashion Design High School in Baltimore City. 
Here she is cutting out her muslin pattern.
Here I am draping her sleeve to get the look on the picture.


I didn't know how in the world I was gonna make the bottom of her dress because the sequin fabric was a just the same panel design over and over in yardage.  It came to me one night....add godets.  Her she is standing in the gown.  I cut some slits and added godets caught from the panels.  I used about 10 yds of fabric.  It worked perfectly!!!!!1
The fabric is very, very sheer.  I created a underdress made out of fleshtone swimsuit fabric (JoAnn Fabrics) and added 4" horse hair braid  to the hemline of the underdress. 
I'm so proud of the finished gown.





I love making their prom dreams come true!!!!!  

3 comments:

A Madison said...

Wow ! Everyone one looks so good. You are an extremely talented seamstress, I love seeing your projects. Ann

Bunny said...

Amazing work on all three. Each young woman and man got their dreams fulfilled!

KaKa said...

Great photos. I will certainly recommend your blog to anyone. You have shared nice post.
Sewing fabric shop https://ctnbee.com/en/linen-fabric-printing-on-demand