Wow it's been a while since my last post! I've been super super busy!
Wedding and prom seasons vary for me. I don't advertise. My work comes by word of mouth, and a friend who has a full time sewing business sends folks my way when she is booked.
This year they came early and strong! I've hemmed four wedding gowns and a mother of the bride gown. The gown feature here was gorgeous!!!! It required a lot of taking in of the dress portion of the gown. The bride purchased it secondhand for a great price. It was too big all over and too long. The dress portion had a heavily beaded/sequined/pearl lace overlay. No matter what you do when working with this type of fabric needle breaks are bound to happen. I also had tons of beads, pearls, crystals, and sequins to deal with!!! After taking the dress apart, I found that it had already been altered. Funny thing was, the alterations were all done by hand. Someone had literally hand sewn the seams without cutting the sequins and pearls out or trimming the seams. They were just folded to the back!!!! Looks like the previous owner purchased a larger size for her bust, because there were no alterations made to the top. After two fittings we were all set. Hemming the gown was easy. I just removed a layer of the ruffle, cut and hemmed the lining and shorten the tulle! I did most of the seaming by going into the side seams of the lining. I didn't want to take the skirt off the dress!!!!! Taming that bottom skirt was a bear, but I got it done. Luckily the lace was not seamed, but stretched over the dress. I love it when that is done because you don't have so many seams to remove beads/pearls/sequins from. She was very pleasant to work with and happy with the results!